Thursday, June 16, 2011

Google me.

Have you ever tried googling yourself?

Come on admit it! You have. 

I do it, every once in a while.

It's astonishing how my entire online active life since it embarked in 2000 is laid out before me. I have considered several times contacting webmasters to have them delete some of the stuff, that is being found about me. But then again, I pride myself in being a complex holistic person. I don't deny my past. (But then again, my past isn't really rugged.) I like to think I have gone through phases, tastes etc. Like the other week when I was moving, and two old friends helped me clean out the attic. And boom we were back in 1996, because I actually saved some of the clothes I wore when the three of us were unseperable in high school. Not clothes I would actually wear now (or could)... but you get the picture.

The holistic view forces me to embrace my mistakes, my hurts, my regrets, it makes me stay friends with old boyfriends, crushes and flames, it teaches me (a neverending lesson) to forgive, and I have a hard time letting go of people I have been close to at some point in my life.

So, what happens when I google me?

The bookclub I was a part of for a couple of years pops up, because a fb group was created.

My exam schedule from my exam in online marketing from last winter.

A quote from Danish Radio, because I was interviewed a year ago for the news.

You can look at my php assignments from this semester and try my temperature converter.

All my academic assignments I posted online is there.

Articles I wrote for the Christian online magazine Teos in 2000.

My affiliations with various online networks and forums.

A critical debate about students in the Danish bookbusiness which caused a very big stirr and awful repercussions.

An article in which my research project about twitter marketing is mentioned.

A comment I made about a blogpost about whether Facebook leads to depression or not.

When Googling me you will learn that I attended a high school in Alabama, that I work at Atcore, that I used to work in a bookstore, that I am Christian, you will learn who my friends are on Facebook, you will find links to my blog, you will learn that I at one point lived in South West Copenhagen, what I study, when I study, when my finals are, who shares my last name, which church I attend.. I could go on.

Freaked out much? 


Have you googled yourself?

If you are freaked out, let me tell you something. I am ok with it. If you care so much to google me, I take it as a compliment of your interest in me (as I do, if you have actually reached the end of this increadibly narcissistic post). And what about the argument where you say what if my employer googles me? My current boss, Sebastian, already knows I am a nutcase. And yes, I am friends with him on Facebook. I work with online marketing and study social media. This is what I do.

What if at some point, way out in the future, a  future employer googles me? Well, he or she will learn that I have lived. Oh yes, I have lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment